Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Ear Candling for infections

Not many people have heard about ear candling so I thought I'd post about it.  My brother used to get a LOT of ear infections when we were younger and my mom, being very into home remedies learned about ear candling as a natural way to prevent ear infections.

We use it on my husband for a different reason- so much wax!  He tends to have a lot of wax and although we do use q-tips they're not the best option because they can push wax deeper into the ear (especially when he has so much)  The cool thing about these ear candles is anyone can use them.

How ear candling works:
Have the person lay down on their side
You place the hollow candle inside the ear (it doesn't have to be too far in, but just in enough so the hole points in your ear and is not blocked)
Make a dough out of just flour and water and place it around the ear and candle. (to seal the ear)

Then use tinfoil to protect the person from ashes.
You will now have a candle sticking up in the air- light the end on fire
As the end burns it creates a vacuum effect- sucking up the wax and infection from the ear.

When it burns down to the tinfoil use a wet paper towel to put out the fire and remove the remaining candle from the ear.  You can cut open the candle and see all the wax if you want.

Once you've done it a few times you'll be able to tell how long to let it burn.  My mom used to burn ours to about 2-3 inches from the tinfoil.  Because my husband has so much wax it will actually pull up to where the fire is I can stop his at about 5 inches from the tinfoil.

When you are the one having it done to you- it's not painful at all.  You will hear some crackling and popping noises as the fire burns but that's it.  If the candle is being put out too close to the tinfoil there might be a loud sizzle sound.  Other than that it's best to just lay down and watch some TV.  It will take about 10 minutes.

These are a great thing to have on hand or in food storage since they have no expiration date and can save from Dr and medicine costs if needed.
I purchased my candles on Amazon.  My mom used to make hers by wrapping shredded cloth around a large metal knitting dowel, then pouring melted paraffin wax on the cloth.  They can be hard to get off the dowel and take a little time to make.  The cost to purchase them is about $1 each so for me it's worth my time to just buy them.

7 comments:

  1. okay so this is a special candle! I have never heard of this and it looks scary. but really cool! would you do this on a regular basis to just clear out the wax? or wait until there is an infection or something?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I meant so this is a special kind of candle? not exclamation point. it still looks scary :(

    ReplyDelete
  3. lol yes! it's basically fabric coated in wax that is hollow on the inside. So the fabric works as the wick and is what burns, and the hollow hole down the middle of the candle is what creates the vacuum affect sucking the wax out of the ear.

    We use it on my husband often to just clear out wax because he gets so much build up. I think it's recommended to do often on someone who gets infections regularly as a prevention method. You'll have to read more about using them while having an infection.
    Hope that helps!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooh! I love these...I used to use them all the time.

    Thanks for the follow! I am now following you as well.

    Have a great day!
    Jessica
    www.jessicascoupons.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. We normally use peroxide in the ear canal to clean out wax. I will have to consider this method. This is only the second day I've heard of it. I posted about using peroxide last night at http://www.allbetweenfriends.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I haven't heard of peroxide, I have heard of oil drops in the ear then wiped out.
    I love all the uses for peroxide! ohhhh now I know what I'm going to type up a post for!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have a post on my blog page about using peroxide for cleaning out ear wax. http://www.allbetweenfriends.com/peroxide-cleans-ear/

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...