Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Ham & Split Pea Soup

With Halloween coming up it could be turned into a fun kids dinner by calling it something gross like "spider soup" or "zombie soup"- I would say 'boogers and brains" but I want my kids to EAT the soup and that name grosses me out! This is also a great recipe to do after Christmas or Easter dinners when most people make a Ham.


Sunday I made a ham for dinner, so that night I put the ham bone with some of the meat in my crock pot, filled it with water and cooked it on low overnight. 
The next morning you take the bone out of the water, and cut up the meat a little with your stirring spoon.  Then add some dried split peas. 
Cook on low until the peas basically turn to mush and thicken up the soup. (you can add more water if you need to, but it's supposed to look like a green creamy soup)  It's a great way to add some healthy peas into your diet!

I've read it also tastes great with a chopped up onion, but I didn't have one to put in this time.
It's super easy, great for rainy days (like it is here today), and a good way to use leftovers and save money by stretching it for another meal or two.

Be sure to check out my other Ham soup recipe (we prefer it to this one usually)
Ham, Potato & Pea Soup.

2 comments:

  1. I love ham and split pea soup!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This just made me hungrier! I'm going to have to plan to make some this weekend, and I have to say that boogers and brains fits it so nicely, lol

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...