Sunday, October 24, 2010

Homemade Applesauce- canning

It's really easy to make and bottle homemade applesauce.  Messy, and a lot of work, but easy!

Step 1: cut your apples into quarters, don't worry about the seeds, core or stem.
Step 2: cook the apples in a large pot- make sure you stir them because apples float and you want the top ones to get cooked too!
Step 3: Once the apples are cooked and tender (you really can't overcook them in my experience) place them into your applesauce machine.  Some machines are hand cranks but if you're lucky like me you have the attachment to go on your kitchen aid!! (I TOTALLY recommend investing in this if you intend on making it a lot)

Step 4: Your machine will do most of the work.  You load the cooked apples into the top, push them down the tube, then the machine will squish it and strain the applesauce out the bottom, and the seeds, core, skin and other junk will come out the end.  I set it up so that a large bowl caught all the applesauce, and put my kitchen aid close to the edge of the counter so the junk would fall right into the trash!  The apples do squirt sometimes while pushing them into the tube- and they'll be hot, so be careful!  (this is also what contributes to the mess- plan on sweeping and mopping the floor when you're done)  You CAN add cinnamon, sugar, or my grandma used to add a couple of little red cinnamon candies to each jar- but it's optional. (these apples were so good I didn't add anything to them)

Step 5:  Fill each cleaned jar (I just run them through the dishwasher) about 1/2 inch to the top.  Wipe off the top of the jar so it will seal.  Place a lid that has been in boiling water to soften the seal on the jar and then hold it in place by screwing a ring on the jar.

Step 6: Place you jars into a canning pan (usually will fit up to 7 jars- quart or pint).  Make sure the water is over the jars by 1/2- 1 inch.  Cover with the lid.  Once the water is boiling set the timer for the processing time. (I'm at 5,000 feet so my processing time is 20 minutes for pints and 30 minutes for quarts) It's better safe than sorry and you really can't over process them in this kind of canner.  Your canner will have a processing guide for items you can refer to if you are concerned about your elevation.

Step 7: Once the jars are done processing, place them on a cutting board, or even a towel on your counter (my grandma used to do that but I have a huge cutting board so I use that).  You'll hear the popping noises of the jars sealing as they cool down.  Once they're cooled check all the tops to make sure they've sealed and are not able to pop up and down.  Mark what they are and the month/year on top of the jars and you're done!
Here's a link where you can get the Kitchen Aid attachment like I have-
KitchenAid FVSFGA Fruit/Vegetable Strainer and Food Grinder for Stand Mixers

And here's a hand crank one- Also a water bath canner like I use and some tools you'll want.

1 comment:

  1. Hmmmm.... Is there a way to do this without the tools? I don't have the canning pan or the sauce maker :(
    Could I improvise on either one?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...