Sunday, October 24, 2010

Pumpkin Rolls

It's that time of year again!! Pumpkin rolls are so yummy and a perfect treat from October to January.  I wanted to try something different from my usual recipe this year so I found one on allrecipes.com and improvised it a little! 

First of all, if you're going to make a pumpkin roll you may as well make 3, because they are VERY messy to make.  I figure I'd rather freeze the extras and only have one mess to clean up than a big mess every time we want them.
So this recipe is enough to make 3 pumpkin rolls.  I make them in my cookie sheets which are the larger size, so if you use smaller cookie sheets you could probably get 5 pumpkin rolls out of this recipe.
*Make sure to grease and flour your pan really well!*  This time I tried waxed paper on the bottom and it was AWFUL!! Half of my pumpkin roll stuck to the waxed paper >: / (angry face)  Just grease and flour them well.

In a bowl, mix well:
1 large can pumpkin
2 1/4 c. flour
3 c. sugar
3 t. baking soda
3 t. cinnamon
3 t. nutmeg
9 eggs
3 t. lemon juice
6 T. powdered sugar

Once it's all mixed together pour some into your well greased/floured cookie sheet.  Did I say grease and flour it well yet?? You don't need it to be too thick because it will rise a little as it bakes.  Plus you're going to roll it so you don't want it thick like a cake.
Bake at 375 for 15 minutes.

Here comes the messy part...   Lay a kitchen towel out on your counter and sprinkle powdered sugar on it.  (you can sprinkle nuts on it too if you like, I'm just not a nut fan)  Then after running a spatula along the sides of the cookie sheet to loosen up the pumpkin roll, flip the pumpkin roll out onto the towel.


Then roll up the pumpkin roll with the towel and set it aside to cool.

Once it's cooled, unroll the pumpkin roll and towel, spread cream cheese frosting on the pumpkin roll, then roll it back up without the towel. Cut off the ends since they're not as pretty looking, and the rest of the pumpkin roll is ready to cut and serve!  I usually freeze them before cutting so they cut easier and look prettier.
I wrapped these up to sell at my craft boutique.

Cream cheese frosting:
3 8oz cream cheese- softened
1 1/2 cubes butter- softened
3 t. vanilla
3 c. powdered sugar
(this makes a thinner frosting than you would use for a cake or other things)

3 comments:

  1. wow, these look super delicious and i'm going to try them. Thanks for sharing the recipe!!
    http://lindalovesblog.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. OOOOOOH!
    LOOKS DELISH!
    I found my next Sunday brunch roll!
    Thanks for sharing :)
    Stop by on Monday for the HOP-
    Melly
    http://www.beckhamandbloom.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. okay, you gave aan great idea. I didn't have pumpking on hand so I used my recipes & your techinquies to create a banana roll...mmm
    it turned out great & I'm posting it & will link your pumpkin recipe to my post! After all you were my insperation :)
    Come by & see it @
    http://www.beckhamandbloom.com
    (i'm posting now so give a few mins to get it up)
    Have a great day!
    Melly-

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...