Friday, January 7, 2011

Canning Meat

It may sound gross- but bottled meat is pretty good.  You can bottle any meat- chicken, beef, fish, turkey etc. The local grocery store Lin's had chicken on sale for $1.49/lb sold in a 40lb box this week, so I stocked up.  Since I don't want or have room for all of the chicken in my freezer bottling it is perfect.  They also had a good sale on roasts and pork chops so I bought some, cut them into chunks for stews etc. and bottled those as well.

It's super easy to bottle meats- but the most important thing is you HAVE to have a pressure canner/cooker.  Meats and Veggies have to be canned with a pressure canner/cooker.  I was able to get a 23 quart pressure canner/cooker on ebay for about $80 and it has been worth every penny!

For chicken or chunks of meat:
1. Pack chicken or meat into the bottles


2. Add ¼- ½ teaspoon of salt

3. Wipe the top of the bottle clean- where the seal will go

4. Boil the seals in water to soften them (good to do while filling the jars)

5. Place a seal on each jar

6. Screw the ring onto each jar 

7. Place into your pressure canner/cooker

8. Fill the pressure canner/cooker with about 3-4” of water

Follow processing lbs of pressure according to your altitude

Meat processing time is 75 minutes for pints, and 90 minutes for quarts.



The finished product may not LOOK appetizing, but how often does meat look appetizing anyway? (pictured below-top picture= pork on far left, beef in the two right jars.  bottom picture= chicken)


The chicken tends to have a slight tuna taste & smell to me.  I love using it in salads or for sandwiches.

3 comments:

  1. It's also great for casseroles or enchiladas or tacos.

    ReplyDelete
  2. O this is great- I always have a ton of chicken that I don't have room for, this is perfect I am going to give it a try.
    I am your newest follower and I hope that you check out my blog and follow me back.
    www.grandmassecretstosavings.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just found your blog and had to comment on the chicken. I can chicken 2-3 times a year, because we use it all the time! I only do chicken breasts (we don't like dark meat!), and I do them in wide mouth pints. I add a 1/2 tsp of garlic salt and it is fantastic! I've never thought it tasted or smelled like Tuna! It does put out quite an odor while it's processing, but not a bad one!
    Looking forward to looking at all of your recipes and tips!
    Holly

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...