Sunday, January 16, 2011

Lasagna

My husband's favorite food is lasagna so we have it at our house pretty often.  It's pretty easy- however makes a mess with a lot of dishes, so I always make extra to freeze for quick and mess less meals on other days.  When I make this much I buy one bulk package of ground beef about 5lbs for the sauce.  So adjust according to how much you're going to make!
This is a pretty easy process where you have multiple things going at once.  Start the noodles, and while the meat is browning you can make the cheese mixture.

cook Lasagna noodles then let sit in cold water

Sauce:
cook ground beef
once beef is browned, add spaghetti sauce (either from a jar, or create your own with a mixture of pureed tomatoes, tomato sauce,tomato paste and Italian seasoning) I usually do some combination of the two.

Cheese:
2 large containers (32oz) cottage cheese
1 container (16 oz) Parmesan cheese (it really makes a difference to use the shredded rather than fine powder kind)
1/2- 1 c. spinach chopped (I add this for the extra vitamins my kids wont know about)
3-4 eggs
3 t. Italian seasoning
1-2 T. parsley (chopped or dried flakes)
Mix together well

In your pan(s) place a little of the sauce on the bottom to keep your noodles from sticking.  Layer noodles across the bottom.  Pour the cheese mixture on top of the noodles and spread out.  Layer with more noodles on top of the cheese mixture.  Pour the sauce on top. Then top with Mozzarella cheese.

Bake at 350 for 30 mins or until cheese is melted well.
Here it is with two of my freezer meals made at the same time.  And below is a picture of it cooked.

9 comments:

  1. I'm your newest follower! Great recipe!

    I'd be happy if you followed back!

    Allegromama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great to me. I am a huge fan of the no-cook lasagna noodles though. Do you ever use them?
    Came over from the Follow Me Monday hop.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I have tried the no-cook ones, as well as just using regular ones uncooked, haven't noticed a difference to make the price of the no-cook ones more appealing :)
    I'd love to follow you back- need your blog address :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I play just enough to get by, as in the basics from string tech in college... so not good enough to teach lessons. I mostly teach primer and regular piano and voice lessons.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've been reading food blogs since this morning and I think I'm already full. hehe

    Thanks for sharing the recipe though.

    By the way I'm following you via GFC from "follow us monday morning" blog hop.


    Please support me by commenting in this post:

    http://green-bellpepper.blogspot.com/2011/01/minute-maid-pulply-day.html

    Thanks very much and happy monday! :)

    ~Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  6. This looks yummy!!! Definetly going to be making this for dinner this week!

    Following from the Monday Blog Hop!
    Would love for you to follow back!

    http://singlemominspiration.blogspot.com/2011/01/pork-tenderloin-in-slow-cooker.html

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is a favorite at our house too. I also have started doing the same thing. It is so stinking messy that I just make extra to throw in the freezer. We are also watching our waistlines so we are eating it less, and I am making them in loaf pans vs 9x13. (There are only 2 of us and a toddler. so that works right now)

    New Follower:
    www.thehickmanfour.blogspot.com (life as a wahm)
    www.touchofhomelearning.blogspot.com (preschool activities)
    www.custompartiesfromthebox.blogspot.com (custom party planning)

    Stop by, look around, follow back, comment freely - most importantly, ENJOY!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OH YUMMY! I am following you from Monday hops. Hope you can stop by, follow, and become a loyal reader.
    Blog looks great!
    Stay Fabulous
    Chara
    www.nothingbutfabulousity.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...