Saturday, February 19, 2011

Chili

As a cook I LOVE making chili- but as a person it's not my favorite thing to eat.

I love cooking it because it's another thing that you can't mess up! You can make your own variety of it and it's still chili.

Basic chili is just ground beef (but even this can be left out), beans, and a tomato sauce (some use a white sauce though and chicken- like I said, VERY versatile)

You can use any kind of beans or assortment of beans you like.

For this recipe I did:
ground beef
bacon (cut into chunks)
-cook together until the beef is brown.
Add:
1 can black beans
1 can kidney beans (this are very nutritional and with the other beans they mix right in!)
2 cans pinto beans
2 cans tomato sauce (I get the seasoned ones such as garlic)
3 cans of stewed or pureed tomatoes
and I had a jar of spaghetti sauce leftover in the fridge from a few nights ago so I threw that in too!

Once it's all warm it's done! The meat was already cooked.

You can add any variety of tomato sauce, paste, stewed/crushed/puree tomatoes or even spaghetti sauce you like or have on hand. Same with the beans.
Bacon is optional.

It's really an EASY EASY meal to make!!
Some other optional ingredients are:
onions
diced chilis
peppers
the possibilities are endless :)

Great served with scones or corn bread and perfect for those cold rainy or snowy days!  It also can make a big batch with few ingredients- so good to make when you have company!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...