Pages

▼

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Homemade Instant Oatmeal


This was an idea I've wanted to try for awhile and finally got around to it.  Homemade Instant Oatmeal!!  One morning it hit me- what's in instant oatmeal? quick oats, dried fruit, powdered milk, and maybe a sweetener like powdered sugar.  I could make this myself!  It would be cheaper, and I would know exactly what was in it.  So here's what I did-
Remember a week or so ago when I dried some peaches?  Here's the link.

I took some of the dried peaches (you could use any kind of dried fruit you like) and chopped them up fairly small.

In a large bowl combine-
1 large tub of quick oats
4 cups powdered milk
about 1 1/2 cups of dried fruit
5 cups of powdered sugar (more or less to your own taste)

Mix it all together and you've got your very own instant oatmeal!

I sampled some by putting a couple spoonfuls into a bowl, add water until it's the desired consistency (some like it thick, some like it thin)  Microwave for about 20-30 seconds and you've got it!


This batch obviously makes a lot.  I plan on vacuum packing it into some mason jars for our food storage.  It'll be a healthy, cheap and delicious breakfast!

No comments:

Post a Comment